google-site-verification: google82af41cbbb927c7d.html Grove Creek Family History: Something to Ponder?

Mt. Timpanogos Temple, photo by Rick Satterfield, used with permission

Friday, May 7, 2010

Something to Ponder?

I have a question! Last week as I helped many patrons at the National Genealogical Society Conference in Salt Lake, I noticed something interesting and also disheartening. I made a habit out of finding out where the patrons were from. Overwhelmingly, they were from out of state. They were excited about FamilySearch and what the LDS Church is doing to digitize records and get them posted online. Many of them couldn't believe that the LDS Church was doing this for free! Sadly, many of those that I talked to from Utah didn't think that FamilySearch was such a big deal. Yes, it has problems, but we have come a long way from the past way of doing things. Why are we so jaded and disinterested? Maybe everyone thinks that the work is done? Believe me, it is NOT ALL DONE! Maybe we are complacent? Maybe our ease of having the world renowned Family History Library in our backyard is a problem?  Ok, I'll get off of my soapbox now! :)

No comments:

Copyright 2013 by Rayanne Brunski Melick,
All Rights Reserved.